Friday, June 03, 2005

The Smile

I sat there in the train today
amidst people all around
Nothing seemed unusual then
just the mundane clattering sounds

And there she sat two rows from me
in thoughts so deep I fear
Her lips clenched within her teeth,
I saw her shed a tear

She sat there still in spells of silence
holding on, showing utmost grace
And yet during those bursts of tears
she was forced to hide her face

One drop fell and then another
Whilst she tried to show restraint
But her eyes, those treacherous traitors
turned every effort in vain

Then there was this moment, that brief little instant
when our eyes met each others way
I saw her staring right at me
but I did'nt know what to say!

I looked around in search of words
I shrugged my shoulders a-while
Then amidst those thousands and millions of thoughts
the best I did was "Smile"

And then what happened I did least expect
the most rewarding thing to see
The Smile that broke was so coy and bashful
Yes, she smiled right back at me

Our destinations reached, the time seemed up
We proceeded to get off the train
With that persistant smile and that one last glance
We knew we may never meet again

And as we walked into the crowd
enroute each other's ways
We knew we had something to cherish
We'd remember this smile for days
:: posted by RagsInRags, 3:09 PM

1 Comments:

nice portrayal .... the touch of melancholy is effective.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 07 June, 2005 21:30  

Add a comment

Featured Poems

Previous Posts

M Smiling 2Day
One Day Older
Yes It Hurts
What a Fool I should be

Hit Count