Monday, May 03, 2010

Bhairav

I've always had this tune in my head right from the time we had performed a fusion piece with Tarun on Guitar, Ganesh on keyboards and me on drums. But it never really sounded the way I wanted it to.

I have tried this piece many times in the past, but have never got the nuances of the instruments right. This time, my attempt was using SwarPlug.




Bhairav by RagsInRags

I have changed the vocal samples of SwarPlug by first getting it onto my Triton Sampler and then looping the sample and appropriate points to allow for a longer continuous sound. Then I have taken it into Reaktor and added the expressions of vibrato and bends.



The flute is something I picked from the Triton and emulated using SwarPlug Samples on Reaktor (nice peice of soft synth). I have used a lot of detune to give it a realistic feel. You can almost feel this when some of the notes seem a little off-tune during the passage.



The Tanpura, tabla, mridingham and ghatam are the factory presents of Swarplug.



The piece is itself based on Raag Bhairav. It starts with the "Pakad" of the raag after which the instruments take over. It was hard to stop with such a small peice. My intent was to emulate a typical "Drupad" performace. But it was taking just too long to get Triton loaded with all required samples (extra sample memory is already on my shopping list).



So far... this version is a lot better than the previous ones. But I'm still working and hopefully some day I'll have this piece just how I am imagining it in my head.



Comments most welcome.

:: posted by RagsInRags, 3:07 PM

5 Comments:

When u releasing ur album Rags....u should ve by now!!!
Blogger Lucky, at 04 May, 2010 00:35  
I wonder Y U have'nt contested in any competitons , your talent should have been exposed to everyone by now.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 04 May, 2010 14:27  
Very nice ( Didn't know you were into classical music also ).

I have used a lot of detune to give it a realistic feel. You can almost feel this when some of the notes seem a little off-tune during the passage.
Exactly . That was really cool . Great self analysis :)
Anonymous prashila, at 09 May, 2010 06:49  
hey the mridangam and tabla sound awesome at the start.. How did you play that? But it tends to go a little off tune.. Not sure why though. I am quite impressed at your classical inclination :)
Anonymous aparna, at 25 April, 2011 15:11  
The Mridingham n Tabla are from a plugin called SwarPlug. Good Indian instrument samples :)

Yes the flute sound a little off. Thats what they call "humanization" of the instrument - people dont play perfect right?
Blogger RagsInRags, at 26 April, 2011 15:29  

Add a comment

Featured Poems

Previous Posts

Whispering Bombshells
Being Righteous or Being Truthful
Taking Shortcuts
Mr Harlequin
Teamwork???
Back to School
Alive-N-Kickin
When people become comodities
Give-N-Take Relations?
Give Him a Chance - My Voice Finally

Hit Count